So remember that delicious quiche we ate at my friend Laurel’s?
Well she finally gave me the recipe!!!
I’s a delicious country style pie, with very earthy and warming flavors…
It is adapted from here.
Laurel added fresh goat’s cheese in the batter and grated hard goat cheese on the top, so it was not dairy free anymore, but oh so delicious🙂
Dairy-Free Vegetable Quiche
- 1 recipe pie crust (see below)
- Sauteed mushrooms, zucchini, red onion and bell peppers (cooled)
- Chopped baby spinach
- Chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup plain rice milk or almond milk
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Salt and pepper, thyme and oregano, to taste
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3-4 Tbsp. ice water
To Make The Quiche:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F/ 180C and precook the pie crust
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, flour, baking powder, rice or almond milk and the spices
- Stir in the cooled sauteed vegetables and fresh spinach, and stir until well combined.
- When pie crust is ready, take out from oven and pour the egg and vegetable mixture into the crust, and use a spoon to even out the top
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
To Make The Dairy-Free Pie Crust:
- Combine salt and flour in a bowl.
- Cut shortening into the salt and flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork until it is well-combined.
- Add water, then stir with spoon until mixture clings together in a ball.
- If dough is too dry or moist add additional water or flour as needed, but don’t over mix!
- Lightly dust your rolling surface with flour, and roll the dough out as desired- when i’m lazy I also do it directly in the pie tin🙂