Sometimes when my little neighbor comes back from school and i’m also coming home she comes wandering in my place and likes to explore the treasures of an unknown place…i give her free reins because as a kid I also loved to snoop…discovering things about someone else, is there a greater thing in life?!!
Anyway she found this small and cute recipe book I have with just chocolate recipes and i told here she could borrow it, and choose whatever recipe she wanted and I would bake it for her. She chose those pink cupcakes and although i was a little dubious of the taste combination for a 3 year old I gave it a try and i have to say i was so impressed by the result!!!
The cupcake itself is not too sweet (it’s made with cocoa and not chocolate) and the sweet and tangy icing offers a perfect balance to the earthy deep cocoa.
So without further ado here is the recipe! I adapted it slightly…
Ingredients for 12 cupcakes (for real! usually the recipe says 12 and i make 6 but this time it really made 12!)
- 125g butter (soft, if you can remember to take it out of the fridge, otherwise, i softened it in the microwave :))
- 125g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g flour
- 1/2 packet of baking soda
- 2 tbsp unsweetened powdered cocoa
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract or a sprinkle of vanilla powder
- 100g redcurrants (reserve some for decoration)
- 300g powder sugar (i know, the quantity is horrifying!)
- Whip the butter and sugar into submission until it’s light and fluffy (if needed as mentioned just microwave it slightly to make it more malleable)- and yes i use an electric egg beater for that!
- Add the eggs one by one, then the flour and baking soda, the cocoa, and finally the milk
- Cook at 200C for 15 min and let the cupcakes cool on a rack
- Blend the redcurrants in a mixer and add the powder sugar little by little until you obtain a smooth paste; then you know what to do: Decorate the cupcakes with the paste and finish with a redcurrant
And now in french!
Ingredients pour 12 cupcakes
- 125g de beurre mou
- 125g sucre
- 2 oeufs
- 100g farine
- 1/2 paquet de levure
- 2 cs cacao
- 2cs lait
- 100g de groseilles
- 300g de sucre glace
- Travailler au robot le sucre jusqu’à l’obtention d’un mélange léger. Incorporez les œufs un à un, puis la farine et la levure et le cacao. Ajouter le lait en dernier
- Cuire les muffins 15 minutes a 200C et laisser refroidir
- Pour le glaçage, réduire les groseilles en coulis dans un hachoir et ajouter le sucre glace petit a petit jusqu’à l’obtention d’une pâte lisse. Décorer les cupcakes avec le glacage et finir avec une groseille