So I went back to my old stomping grounds this week – in Lyon- and visited my old company.
I used to manage an asian noodle brand called Tien shan, and i was lucky enough to get a sample of one of their new products: instant rice noodles (and not vermicelli which is way thinner!).
The funny thing is I used to not like rice noodles or vermicelli but lately (largely thanks to Pad Thai i think!) i am definitely more keen on it.
And tonight, as i am trying to finish all the products in my fridge so as not to let them rot during my impending vacation, i found myself with…lettuce and grated carrots…. and thought i needed some starch!
So here it is…the spring roll inspired salad! I don’t have all the ingredients on hand tonight but i combined baby spinach, Rocket and baby beet leaves with grated carrots and the noodles and it is very refreshing! A perfect summer salad. So here is a recipe to try when i get back🙂
Ingredients for 4
- 2 to 3 packages instant rice noodles (depending on hunger level of guests!)
- two large handfuls of mixed greens of your choice
- two large handfuls of grated carrots
- soy sprouts, fresh or canned
- 10 mint leaves/ cut into strips with scissors
- 4 large shrimps, cut into inch long pieces
- for the dressing, oil and vinegar and soy sauce rather than salt, tiny bit of fish sauce as well
- soak the rice noodles in just boiled water and drain- pour cold water over until the noodles are cold
- mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and refrigerate for 15 minutes, if you have the time
- Variations: You could easily remove the shrimp (and the fish sauce!) to make it veggie friendly or add a cooked anc cooled chicken breast cut into cubes for bigger appetites