So some friends of mine are coming over tonight for my (now!) traditional dinner and a movie on sunday.
I wanted to make sthg good but not too heavy since i got horrified when i got on the scale last week (too much lemon meringue pie will do that to ya!).
Since we also have a veggie coming i decided to make regular burgers as well as mexican bean burgers, to be served within delicious homemade wholegrain rolls (they’re mixing right now in my bread machine yum!), avocado, salsa and a side salad.
For dessert we will have a healthy rice pudding made with brown rice and almond milk. I know this sounds quite yucky if you’re not a ‘whole’ everything fan (i am!) but almond milk is sooo delicious!
So i’ll post the pics asap but in the meantime here is the recipe for the bean burgers.
- 800g canned kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- small bunch coriander- i have parsley so i’ll use that
- 1 egg
- 200g fresh salsa
- 150ml yogurt
- juice 1⁄2 lime- i have lemons, they will do
- 6 burger buns , sliced avocado, sliced red onion and salad leaves, to serve
- Heat grill to high. Rinse the beans and put into a large bowl, then roughly crush with a potato masher.
- Add the breadcrumbs, chilli powder, coriander stalks and 1⁄2 the leaves, egg and 2 tbsp salsa, season to taste, then mix together well with a fork.
- Divide the mixture into 6, then wet your hands and shape into burgers. The burgers can now be frozen. Place on a non-stick baking tray, then grill for 4-5 mins on each side until golden and crisp.
- While the burgers are cooking, mix the remaining coriander leaves with the yogurt, lime juice and a good grind of black pepper. Split the buns in half and spread the bases with some of the yogurt. Top each with leaves, avocado, onion, a burger, another dollop of the lime yogurt and some salsa, then serve.
For the rice pudding, i do not intend to use succanat or yogurt (just sugar, and i’ll just pass on the yogurt, and i imagine the rice pudding will just be more compact :))
And as a bonus here is also a recipe i made this week which i found very good! I also threw in potatoes (small ones) and cherry tomatoes and that made for a no fuss, excellent dinner (with tonnnns of leftovers!)
Since it’s quite small i’ll rewrite the recipe here (the way i did it!!)- i guess it’s in french too…well did you know you have to be bilingual to read my blog!
- 2 (full) organic chicken thighs- thigh and the other part separated
- 4 lemons
- 1 full head of garlic, peeled with the green stalk inside each clove taken off ( i hear it reduces the bad breath…)
- Olive oil, salt and pepper, parsley
- Small potatoes, cherry tomatoes
- Place the chicken thighs in a big baking dish, squeeze the lemons over it and place the lemons in the baking dish as well
- Place the garlic cloves, potatoes and tomatoes, be generous with olive oil and then add salt and pepper
- Bake for 30 min at high oven