I cannot tell you how glad i was to have made a huge pot of chili when my friends and i came back from a 10km snowshoe hike! In only a few minutes it was bubbling away on the stove and warmed us through and through.
The recipe is flexible and basic but i thought i’d share it with you.
Chili (serves 8)
- 1 big can red beans- drained and rinsed (to take off the excess salt)
- 3 small cans crushed tomoatoes (in their own juice)
- 4 carrots- peeled and cut into small sections
- 2 celery branches- washed and cut into small sections
- 2 onions- finely cut
- 250g ground beef and 150g ground veal
- salt, pepper, chili mix, bbq sauce (heinz), dried garlic, dried parsley
- Into a big soup pot, cook the meats, chili spice and the onions together for 5 minutes on high heat
- add the celery and carrots for another 5 minutes
- add the tomatoes, the beans and remaining spices
- top of with a bit of water and let bubble away for as long as you can stand, but at least 30 min🙂
Serve with nice crusty bread and sour cream
And yesterday night i was hungry for something that would change a bit so i made a quick stir fry for myself. I love tofu so i used that but you could easily sub by chicken.
Green stir fry (serves 2)
- 1 pack precooked quinoa
- 1 pack mixed green frozen veggies
- 1 pack tofu
- thai green curry mix (jar)
- sesame oil, olive oil, salt and pepper
- fry the tofu in olive oil on high for a few minutes
- add the frozen veggies and cook for 5 minutes
- add the spices and thai green curry mix as well as the sesame oil
- finally add the quinoa to warm through- and enjoy!
It’s snowing here today so be safe!