So for new years our friend Helena did a carrot cake. Well it is SO good it created quite a stir and was already made again by another friend.
I’m going to give it a stab this week end, i hope to do it justice!
Here is the recipe
Carrot Cake (10-12 servings):
Ingredients (quite a lot of them! but worth it)
- 1 cup (100 grams) pecans or walnuts- toasted for about 8 minutes and chopped (+ about 15 kept whole for decorating the cake)
- 3/4 pound (340 grams) raw carrots (about 2 1/2 cups finely grated)
- 2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) safflower, vegetable, or canola oil (or other flavorless oil)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces (227 grams) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups (230 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (outer yellow skin of lemon) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
- In a bowl whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute).
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored (about 3 – 4 minutes).
- Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.
- Fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts.
- Evenly divide the batter between two buttered 9 x 2 inch (23 x 5 cm) cake pans and bake 25 to 30 minutes in the center of the oven
Remove from oven and let cool before frosting.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter with a hand mixer
- Gradually add the sifted powdered sugar and beat, on low speed, until fully incorporated and smooth
- Beat in the vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
- Place one cake layer onto your serving plate.
- Spread with about half the frosting on it
- Gently place the other cake onto the frosting and spread the rest of the frosting over the top of the cake
- Garnish with toasted nuts on the top of the cake
Sorry french friends i need to find time to translate this!!
for no gotta rush to work🙂
If you try it let me know!